Almost everything that we do now is somehow connected to the internet. Whether you are buying clothes, ordering groceries, or even watching movies, you are getting online and using the internet. Most of us have switched from traditional TV network providers to streaming platforms.
While it has increased the convenience and improved the viewing experience, it has brought about some new issues, especially the ones related to privacy and anonymity. However, with the right information and tools, you can have watch all the content you want safely.
Read on to learn more about the importance of online privacy and how you can achieve that.
Why Online Privacy is Important?
You might think, what is the big deal if I don’t have online privacy? Well, if you are not sure about the importance of online privacy, here are a few consequences you might face without it:
- Tracking: You must already know that when you use the internet, companies collect your data. They keep track of things you are doing, what things you are looking for, how long you have been looking at them, etc. With this information, they show you targeted ads created to make you spend more money.
- Data Collection: Think about this. You have just bought some clothes from a company using your credit card. To make future shopping easier, you let them save your card details. Can you be sure that this information is kept safe? What about your passwords? There have been several incidents in the past that show that large tech companies have been harvesting personal data from millions of people. You don’t want to be one of these.
- Identity theft: Identity theft is not a joke! If you have the habit of sharing your personal information, including your financial details, online without checking or verifying the website, you might end up with a huge financial loan. Your credit score might be impacted as well, which will make future purchases and loans difficult.
Now that you know the importance of online privacy, let’s get into how you can enable it:
VPN, a Virtual Private Network, is a boon, especially when it comes to anonymous streaming. What VPNs do is encrypt your data from browsers and applications. Since your IP address is hidden, your internet service provider can’t see your online activity.
Even though you won’t be completely anonymous, it will protect your data from hackers by encrypting your online traffic. It’s the best way for you to start learning how to be anonymous in real life and online.
Another benefit of a VPN – you will have access to geo-restricted data. You can also use a VPN with media players like Kodi. However, it is important to find the reliable VPNs for Kodi or else you won’t have an optimal streaming experience. Here are a few features to look for while making the decision:
- A strict no-logs policy so that they don’t record your online activities.
- Fast servers so you can stream without buffers.
- A huge volume of servers so you have more options to access the content.
- Robust encryption methods to protect your data.
- Easy to use.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Compatibility with multiple devices so that you can easily set it up.
2. Secure Email Services
Consider switching to secure email services like ProtonMail. These services offer end-to-end encryption and are based in countries with strong privacy laws. This ensures that your emails remain private, even from government surveillance.
3. Proxy Server
Proxy servers offer the same functionality as the VPN, as in they mask your IP address. However, they are not as secure. It is best that you use them only when you are using a public network.
4. Check permissions
See what permissions an app requests. Do they really need to know your location or access your camera and microphone? Only grant necessary permissions. Similarly, check what data websites or apps collect, share, or sell before you start using them. Some companies sell user data to third parties, which can compromise your privacy.
5. Ad Blockers
Ad blockers can help get rid of the ads, especially the ones that you often see on free streaming websites. It also protects you from hackers and malware which you might be exposed to by accidentally clicking on the ads. It is best to use an ad blocker to ensure a smoother, anonymous viewing experience.
Another thing you need to do to get rid of those ads is to disable cookies. Cookies might sound nice, but they are actually data about your online activities which companies use for targeted ads. Make sure that these are disabled so that you don’t have ads following you around on the internet.
Conclusion – Anonymous Streaming for Beginners
Learning how to stay anonymous online is just as difficult, if not more, than learning how to be anonymous in real life. However, with a lot of effort, it is possible. The internet was created to ensure that people can have access to any information freely. However, in exchange for that information, it can sometimes take away your privacy.
That being said, with the above-mentioned methods, you can work on ensuring complete anonymity online while streaming and keep your information protected. Happy streaming!
You may also be interested in checking out:
- Easiest Streaming Device for Seniors: User-Friendly Picks
- How to Build a Music Streaming Website: A Step-By-Step Manual
- 31 Best Online Streaming Sites Like Netflix with Free Trials
- Top 12 Best Spotify Alternatives for Free Music Streaming